Purchasing Agent supports the buying functions of the purchasing department which includes order entry of purchase orders, order follow-up, request for quotes, value comparisons, supplier development, and communicating with other departments (internal customers).
- Support internal customers by processing requisition requests, issuing purchase orders in a timely manner, and obtaining order confirmations.
- Review status of shipped orders and back orders; update internal customers with expected delivery dates.
- Maintain supplier price lists and interact with internal customers to notify of discontinued parts or supplies.
- Maintain good working relationships with vendors while negotiating pricing, evaluate vendor bids on price, delivery dates, and past performance.
- Collaborate with warehouse to ensure proper inventory control procedures including matching packing slip to purchase order and maintaining inventory stocking levels.
- Prioritize work to meet production and customer delivery expectations.
- Communicate effectively with team members and other departments.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Working knowledge of procurement techniques, procedures and policies.
- Excellent negotiation and written communication skills.
- Solid math aptitude (division, multiplication, fractions, percentages). Experience using metrics a plus.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment preferred.
- Proficient in Word, Excel and Outlook.